150 York Street, Stoughton, MA 02072 781-344-0600
In 1927, with the help of a group of local Jewish women, led by Eva Blender, Bella Doxer, Fannie Bocholtz, and Dora Lukatch, Moses Stone, MD, opened the Jewish Tuberculosis Sanatorium in Rutland, Mass., as a non profit hospital to help those who could not afford to pay for medical care.
Over the years, health was restored to over 800 poor people who were victims of tuberculosis (TB). The sanatorium was a vital link in the battle to control TB, providing modern therapies and pioneering the use of new drugs and surgical techniques. It was one of the first places in the country to pioneer the use of streptomycin. By the early 1950s, the facility was experiencing growing pains and plans for a new hospital were under way. In 1954, New England Sinai Hospital opened its doors in Jamaica Plain, as New England's sole charitable tuberculosis center. As medical science progressed and new drugs made it possible to control tuberculosis, Sinai directed its focus to the long-term acute care of patients with chronic diseases and those needing complex medical care.
Again, in 1967, the board was faced with the need for a larger facility. Seeing a population shift to the south of Boston, a decision was made to build a new hospital there. With Development Committee chairman Archie Kaplan at the helm, fund raising began in earnest. Following the move to Stoughton in 1976, he served as president and chairman of the board.
Today, New England Sinai is a 182-bed, long-term acute care hospital and is a member of Steward Health Care, the largest fully integrated community care organization in New England. It is recognized as a premier regional specialty hospital, delivering quality pulmonary and complex medical care as well as ambulatory services.
Recognizing a growing need for outpatient rehabilitation services, Sinai opened the Feldberg Ambulatory Care Center in 1992. Focused on patient care and convenience, it offers patients the highest quality of specialized outpatient services and is home to the Richard A. Field Diabetes Center, the most comprehensive diabetes program in southeastern Massachusetts.
In 1997, Sinai opened an inpatient satellite at Tufts Medical Center. In 2006, Sinai opened another satellite at Carney Hospital.